Fall is upon us! The days are sunny and warm. The evenings and nights are cool and crisp for a perfect nights sleep at the Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast. The brilliant Fall colors are the ideal reason to get away and embrace this magical time of the year and Whitehall Michigan offers you the best of the best for fall viewing and unique activities.
1. Pumpkinfest & Bluegrass Festival Weekend Oct 14-16, 2017
You definitely do not want to miss this! Mark your calendar, October 14th @ 9:30- 4:00pm is the date for the Annual Pumpkinfest Celebration featuring the well-known hilarious, PUMPKIN ROLL down Ferry Street in downtown Montague, Michigan!
Pumpkinfest includes a full-day of pumpkin-inspired events and contests including the pumpkin roll, pumpkin painting and carving, pumpkin seed spitting contest, pumpkin weigh-ins, hay rides, bake sale, apple cider mill, face painting, Arts & Crafts fair, and more!
If you have never experienced the Pumpkin Roll, you are in for a special treat. Kids of all ages (1-100) pay a buck for the pumpkin of their choice. Then the fun begins.
Age groups are separated, places taken, and then we roll. Ferry Street hill this year, First pumpkin to the bottom wins the prize for the age group. It’s hard to describe the chaos of several hundred pumpkins speeding to the bottom of the hill, being chased by their erstwhile owners. And you can’t go home without participating in the seed spitting or pie eating contests. The Cocoa Cottage has been the proud host of many winners!
The Arts and Crafts Festival runs from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Shop the Artist Marketplace with various vendors and artists selling items including holiday decorations, jewelry, clothing, photography, wood crafts, food dips, and more.
The Montague Farmer’s Market is at its peek of fall delights; Apples, Mums, Squash and much more locally grown produce and agriculture. A small but delightful farmers market and social gathering place. This unique festival is always a local favorite!
Book Nook & Java Shop and Best Cellars Wine Bar
In the true musical spirit of the Book Nook, Mark and Brian have added to the already amazing Pumpkinfest with a line up of great Bluegrass music all weekend long! Check out the BNJS for more details on this years festival performers.
Friday October 13, 2017
Blue Water Ramblers 7pm Friday
Saturday October 14, 2017
Calabogie Road 10am Saturday
Zellie’s Opry House Band 7pm Saturday
Sunday October 15, 2017
Hawks and Owls 10am Sunday
2. Lewis Farm Market Great Fall Events
The Great Pumpkin Festival October 28 @ 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
Spooktacular October 21 @ 9:00 am – 7:00 pm
Annual Great Pumpkin Festival and Spooktacular with extended hours until 7pm! Festivities include Neil Sauter the Michigan Stiltwalker, pig races, face painting, dog show, and a candy shoot at 5pm! A fabulous corn maze and a wide variety of animals and birds!
Lewis Farm Market is a 700-acre farm in New Era, Michigan just 15 minutes north of the Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast. Family owned and operated, with homegrown produce, fruit orchards, market with gifts and goodies, and a bakery. Enjoy lots of activities from May through October each year.
3. Harvest Time at Local Wineries
We are fortunate to live in an area of magnificent fruit farms; Blueberry farms, Peach orchards, Apple farms and Grape vineyards are harvesting right now. Our landscape is dotted with local wineries and a couple of cider mills and apple pie bakeshops! Yummm! Farmers markets and roadside stands selling all varieties of just picked produce or fresh baked treats. Some may still be warm from the oven.
The Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast Vintage Michigan Getaway Package is the perfect solution to finding the best wineries in Muskegon and Oceana Counties. Ready for a 2-day adventure? We have plotted a course to the North for day one and to the South for day two. Small to large, all family owned wineries for you to savor and fill your cellar for the upcoming winter season. Find all the details to this personalized, seasonal package at https://cocoacottage.com/specials/vintage-michigan-wine-tour/
4. Explore Nature
Here, leaf-peepers (We use this term most affectionately, being peepers ourselves!) have multiple options to enjoy the beauty of this season; by auto, on foot or bicycle or for those of you with lots of spirit, ride a horse.
Within minutes of the Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast there are incredible walking and biking trails to satisfy the most ardent fitness seekers.
• The White Lake Pathway is just 1 block down the hill from the Cocoa Cottage. To the South it connects to the Fred Meijer Berry Junction Trail and to the North the Hart-Montague Bike Trail. Perfect for riding or walking. Waterdogs, just over the river, is a great pace to rent a bike if you don’t feel like transporting yours. Steve and staff are awesome at answering any questions and helping you get going on your journey! Check them out at http://water-dog.com/
• Lions Park and Nature Walk. Close to downtown Whitehall, the park provides access to White River and White Lake. Accessible boardwalk, stairway, floating docks, picnic shelter and an interpretive station.
• Muskegon State Park/Winter Sports Complex Amazing cross-country ski trails in the winter are breathtaking hiking trails in the Fall. Impeccably maintained. Just waiting for you and camera to capture the amazing beauty.
• Medbery Trail, a leisurely 1.5 miles through Montague neighborhoods and connects to the Hart-Montague Bike Trail for a scenic detour.
• Lake Michigan Shoreline Beaches. Beaches are not just for summer and suntan lotion. The pleasures of Fall beach-combing and splashing in the crystal clear waters (the temp’s are still very mild) are unbelievable. Daily, the water, sand and foliage changes provide a new panorama that is quite unexpected.
• Rainbow Ranch is the ideal spot for gentle horseback rides through the amazing countryside of agricultural fields, rolling hills, deep ravines and river bottoms all filled with rich fall hues. Tours are guided and the horses are well trained too! More information at https://rainbowranch-inc.com/
If that is not enough, we have some of the most glorious back-roads and by-ways that will please the most serious Sunday-driver! We are champions of the Depot-to-Depot Drive from Muskegon to Whitehall along Scenic Drive’s tree covered tunnel-like road along Lake Michigan. Along the way you can stop at the White Duck market for a delicious ice cream cone.
Let us remind you to not be surprised if you spot some amazing wildlife. The wetlands around White Lake and Duck Lake are some of the most heavily populated spots for migrating waterfowl. You might come across a blue heron, cranes or flock of wild turkeys. If luck is on your side, spot one of the many bald eagles that nest along the White River. You will certainly see and hear flocks of geese honking their way South.
Bring your lunch, or with advance notice, we’ll pack one for you. So you can explore to your heart’s content or enjoy the water while having lunch. Bring your hiking boots, you’re favorite fleece, it’s chilly at night and, above all, bring a camera. The colors are always fabulous! We are encouraging people to post their fall foliage pictures to our Facebook page; there may be a prize in it for you!
5. Fall in Love
In Spring, they say Love is in the air, but wait until you experience Fall Love in Whitehall. Fall is the perfect time to reconnect with each other; the days are shorter and the nights are longer. It’s warm enough to enjoy being outdoors, but cool enough to snuggle up and enjoy the warmth of your love. Our, “research”, reveals the best Romantic Tips for the Fall Season.
• Share a long walk hand-in-hand.
• Pile up some leaves then fall into them. Guaranteed to make you giggle!
• Share a cup of hot mulled cider or Larry’s Hot Chocolate.
• Fall picnics are a perfect excuse to wrap up in a blanket and be lazy …
• Visit a haunted house or scary movie (Just an excuse to hold hands and grab a little tighter!)
• Sample treats at a farmers market and guess each other’s favorite!
• Enjoy a hayride as the setting sun turn to starlight.
• Enjoy a fabulous Lake Michigan sunset.
• Snuggle by the fire at the Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast.
Very few spots are more conducive to romance than a beautiful sunset over Lake Michigan, a glass of Port and a cozy snuggle by the fire. Then off to bed in one of our pillow-topped, extra comfortable king or queen sized beds. In the morning when the smell of freshly brewed gourmet coffee awakens you, get ready to indulge in a heavenly made gourmet breakfast. Always fresh, always local.
Fall Lovers Special at the Cocoa Cottage
If we haven’t convinced you yet that Fall in Whitehall is made for you, let us sweeten the pot!
Book 2 consecutive nights at the Cocoa Cottage Bed and Breakfast, either direct on our website or over the phone 231-893-0674, the second night is 50% off!
It’s that easy. Any 2 nights that fit with your busy schedule! Just mention this special in the notes area or when you speak with us. Easy Pezy!
Use your Michigan Bed and Breakfast Association gift certificate! Valid through November 19, 2017.